Software Engineer, Platforms
Benefits Data Trust (BDT) is looking for a creative, compassionate Software Engineer who wants to apply their love for design and technology to positively affect the lives of others. The Software Engineer will build and maintain high-quality software solutions. The Software Engineer will join a dynamic and fast-paced environment and work with cross-functional teams to deliver software products that directly align with the company’s vision and strategy. The ideal candidate will have solid coding skills, be able to communicate new ideas, and have a passion for new technologies.
As a member of the Platforms Team, the Software Engineer will build the base layer operations for which all other applications depend, like APIs, Messaging Queues, or an Eligibility Engine. The Software Engineer will develop the tools others engage with to create smarter ways of delivering benefits and services.
Based in our Center City Philadelphia office, the Software Engineer, Platforms reports directly to the Engineering Architect.
- Build and refactor Applications with readable, testable, easily extended code
- Stay up-to-date with the latest technologies, patterns, and architectures
- Ability to accelerate the Development Cycle by diagraming new system ideas and workflows, and automating tasks through appropriate tools and scripting
- Communicate clearly with teammates in design, grooming, and planning sessions as well as during development
- Review and debug code
- Ensure lasting results by documenting development phases and monitoring systems
- Write effective automated tests that support later changes and refactoring
- Ability to build API’s required. Previous experience with JSON API, REST, or GraphQL preferred.
- Experience with messaging queues such as RabbitMQ, Kafka, Cloud PubSub or Kinesis
- Experience with Git and the ability to engage in git workflow discussions
- Ability to produce automated unit tests (e.g., Go test, RSpec, JEST) and integration testing (Capybara, Enzyme)
- Deployment to cloud services (e.g., GCP, AWS, Azure) with familiarity specifically with GCP environment, helm or Kubernetes
- Ability to securely grab data from an external source and write serverless or server functions as a back-end to interfaces
- Present positive contributions in standups, retrospectives, and code reviews
- Possess the emotional stability to give and take critical feedback without judgment
- Capable of working independently or paired with other Software Engineers
Benefits Data Trust (BDT) is a national nonprofit that helps people live healthier, more independent lives by creating smarter ways to access essential benefits and services. Each year, BDT helps tens of thousands of people receive critical supports using data, technology, targeted outreach, and policy change. Since inception in 2005, BDT has submitted over 800,000 applications – more than any other single entity in the country – securing over $7 billion in benefits and services. BDT employs more than 170 people and provides enrollment assistance to individuals in six states, and policy assistance to states nationwide. For more information, visit bdtrust.org.
To apply for this position, click here.