Lead Software Engineer
Benefits Data Trust (BDT) is seeking an engineer to join our team onsite in center city Philadelphia.
We are looking for creative, compassionate individuals who want to use their love for technology to positively affect the lives of others. You’ll be working on a suite of products referred to as PRISM. PRISM Contact Center is the CRM and benefit estimation tool that powers our call center, and has empowered BDT’s benefit specialists to aid over 500,000 people find the help they need. PRISM Community is a browser based SaaS product for Community Based Organizations, which enables face-to-face screenings for public benefits, like SNAP and Medicaid. PRISM Direct interacts with clients themselves; empowering those in need to self-screen a comprehensive set of benefits and submit documents on their own.
Our engineering team is friendly and highly collaborative, so we want you to be too. We like reasonable, opinionated people and expect friendly sparing about best coding practices in meetings and around the office. All voices are heard, but loyalty to decisions is expected. Our working environment is fun, caring, and relaxed while our work is passionate, serious, and professional.
The Lead Software Engineer position is an opportunity to make a vast impact by simplifying the tasks of co-workers continually and by aiding the needs of people across the country systematically.
This is a senior position within our Engineering department. Candidates should be prepared to demonstrate ways they have mentored other engineers and architected solutions to complex problems. We are looking for an experienced engineer who can share this knowledge effectively with others. The Lead Software Engineer will report to the Director of Software Engineering.
- Proactively seek out and complete features in a reasonably scheduled time
- Pair with other developers to troubleshoot, refactor, and help/learn
- Provide constructive code reviews of pull requests
- Write effective tests proving accuracy of code
- Communicate to fellow team members the reasons why choosing approaches to solutions
- 5+ years developing browser-based software applications
- Familiarity with data engineering and backend data processing
- Proficiency in another programming languages a plus, like Python, Elixir, or Go
- Excellent problem solving and communication skills, a detail-oriented personality, a collaborative spirit, and a love for technology that will ultimately impact the lives of others
- Experience in other aspects of web development like graphics, video, writing, server admin, database optimization, and or deployment automation is a plus
- Comfortable working with Google Cloud Platform (GCP) and understand different services that GCP offers
- College degree – especially in a CS-related field is a plus
Benefits Data Trust (BDT) is a national not-for-profit organization committed to transforming how individuals in need access essential benefits and services. BDT envisions an efficient, cost-effective health and human services system that proactively connects individuals and families to the supports they need so that people are healthier and more economically secure, and communities are stronger. Through direct service delivery and systems change, BDT works to improve health, social, and economic outcomes and streamline the benefits enrollment process.
BDT employs 160 employees in Philadelphia, and provides enrollment assistance in Colorado, Maryland, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, and South Carolina. Since its inception in 2005, BDT has submitted over 650,000 benefits applications for low-income households across the country, securing over $7 billion in benefits for food, healthcare, housing and other services that help move individuals and families toward financial stability. BDT now submits more benefit applications each year than any other entity in the nation. Research and evaluations have found BDT’s targeted outreach and enrollment assistance to be highly cost-effective. BDT also works with government agencies to assist them in adopting policies and practices proven to streamline benefits enrollment, and BDT partners with leading researchers to document the impact of benefits access and cost-effective outreach and enrollment strategies.
To apply for this position, click here.