Director of Policy
Benefits Data Trust (BDT) seeks a Director of Policy to lead the organization’s efforts to transform benefits access through policy and systems change. The Director of Policy works with federal and state policy makers and stakeholders to advance reforms that streamline enrollment. S/he engages in the national dialogue about poverty, health and human services integration, public benefits modernization, and the positive outcomes associated with person-centered service delivery. S/he will build and strengthen relationships with national and state policy leaders and identify opportunities to test new scalable strategies to reduce barriers to enrollment in effective means-tested benefits.
The Director of Policy provides technical assistance to state and local government, informs program design, oversees data-sharing agreements, and ensures policy compliance. The Director of Policy manages BDT’s policy and legal staff and reports to the Chief Strategy Officer.
- Design and execute BDT’s policy and systems change agenda.
- Maintain and strengthen relationships with national and state policy leaders, including government agency staff, academics, and advocates. Participate in strategic coalitions.
- Strengthen BDT’s role as a thought leader through conference presentations, testimony, policy briefs, public comments, and blog posts.
- Identify new opportunities and inform program designs to test innovative strategies to reduce barriers to benefits enrollment.
- Provide technical assistance to state partners to maximize use of federal policy options and waivers and to move states towards meaningful systems change.
- Supervise and support the professional development of BDT’s policy and legal staff.
- Oversee the development of data-sharing agreements.
- Advance BDT’s outcomes-based research and evaluation efforts.
- Build and maintain a strong knowledge of laws and regulations related to public benefits.
- Detailed knowledge of policies to reduce poverty and improve health, with a focus on public benefit programs, particularly SNAP and Medicaid.
- At least 7 years of increasing leadership experience in government, policy analysis or advocacy.
- Demonstrated track record of securing policy and practice changes.
- History of innovation and willingness to experiment and push boundaries to overcome the status quo in public benefits service delivery.
- Experience interpreting and responding to state and federal regulations.
- Existing relationships with policymakers, advocates, and other anti-poverty or health care stakeholders.
- Success managing and coaching a talented and highly motivated staff.
Benefits Data Trust (BDT) is a national not-for-profit organization committed to transforming how individuals in need access essential benefits and services. BDT envisions an efficient, cost-effective health and human services system that proactively connects individuals and families to the supports they need so that people are healthier and more economically secure, and communities are stronger. Through direct service delivery and systems change, BDT works to improve health, social, and economic outcomes and streamline the benefits enrollment process.
BDT employs 160 employees in Philadelphia, and provides enrollment assistance in Colorado, Maryland, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, and South Carolina. Since its inception in 2005, BDT has submitted over 650,000 benefits applications for low-income households across the country, securing over $7 billion in benefits for food, healthcare, housing and other services that help move individuals and families toward financial stability. BDT now submits more benefit applications each year than any other entity in the nation. Research and evaluations have found BDT’s targeted outreach and enrollment assistance to be highly cost-effective. BDT also works with government agencies to assist them in adopting policies and practices proven to streamline benefits enrollment, and BDT partners with leading researchers to document the impact of benefits access and cost-effective outreach and enrollment strategies.
To apply for this position, click here.