Benefits Data Trust (BDT) seeks a Data Engineer. As part of our Site Reliability Engineering team (SRE), the Data Engineer will research, develop, deploy, and support the underlying data-flow and the data warehousing solutions to ensure scale and reliability. This is a collaborative role that requires working with our cloud architecture, platform development, and machine learning teams. Together you will build automated ETL solutions to stream, store, and then interpret high volumes of data used for decision making. The Data Engineer will create both batched and real-time services that assist the organization to better support our clients in their pursuit of a healthier more independent life.
Based in our Center City Philadelphia office, the Data Engineer reports to the Cloud Architect.
- Design scalable, automated data pipelines using both managed and unmanaged cloud services
- Drive optimization, testing, and tooling to enhance data quality
- Work with our technical project management team and stakeholders to gather requirements, architect, implement, monitor, and maintain data-oriented projects
- Work with stakeholders to design SLAs for pipeline solutions and data stores
- Monitor and review existing solutions and propose strategic improvements
- Lead the triage and patching of data-pipeline issues
- Perform postmortem analysis to improve the resiliency of our systems
- Be proactive with monitoring and alerting
- Stay up to date on latest technology developments and offerings to keep the team current
- Collaborate with our data governance team to understand and implement data
- Demonstrated experience with data warehouses or data lakes and relational databases using managed cloud service (e.g., GCP, AWS)
- Previous experience building data-pipelines and ETL solutions
- Previous experience with Kubernetes and related tools
- Experience using Python and similar technologies
- Advanced level of knowledge of SQL is required
- Experience installing and managing Linux servers
- Strong understanding of common computer science concepts and data design patterns
- Ability to work with and establish a strong relationship with engineering and non-technical stakeholders
- Strong desire for automation
- Ability to learn emerging technologies to perform the work as the ecosystem continues to evolve
- Desire to work in an environment that promotes both independence and accountability
Benefits Data Trust (BDT) is a national nonprofit organization that helps people live healthier, more independent lives by creating smarter ways to access essential benefits and services. BDT employs 160 people in Philadelphia and provides benefit enrollment assistance to individuals and families in Colorado, Maryland, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, and South Carolina. Each year, BDT helps tens of thousands of people receive critical supports using data, targeted outreach, policy change, and new technologies. Since its inception, BDT has submitted over 800,000 applications on behalf of over 600,000 households, securing over $7 billion in benefits and services.
To apply for this position, click here.