Lead Software Engineer
Benefits Data Trust (BDT) is a national not-for-profit organization committed to transforming how individuals in need access essential benefits and services. BDT envisions an efficient, cost-effective health and human services system that proactively connects individuals and families to the supports they need so that people are healthier and more economically secure, and communities are stronger. Through direct service delivery and systems change efforts, BDT works to improve health, social, and economic outcomes, streamline the benefits enrollment process, and reduce administrative costs for government and nonprofit agencies. BDT employs 160 employees in Philadelphia, and operates programs in Colorado, Connecticut, Maryland, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, and South Carolina. Since its inception in 2005, BDT has successfully submitted over 700,000 benefits applications for low-income households across the country, securing over $7 billion in benefits for food, healthcare, heating and other services that help move individuals and families toward financial stability. BDT now submits more benefit applications each year than any other single entity in the nation. Research and evaluations have found BDT’s direct service delivery, comprised of targeted outreach and enrollment assistance, to be highly cost-effective. BDT also works with government agencies to assist them in adopting policies and practices proven to streamline benefits enrollment, and BDT partners with leading researchers to document the impact of benefits access and cost-effective outreach and enrollment strategies.
Our engineering team is friendly and highly collaborative, so we want you to be too. We like reasonable, opinionated people and expect friendly sparing about best coding practices in meetings and around the office. All voices are heard, but loyalty to decisions is expected. Our working environment is fun, caring, and relaxed while our work is passionate, serious, and professional.
The Lead Software Engineer position is an opportunity to make a vast impact by simplifying the tasks of co-workers continually and by aiding the needs of people across the country systematically.
This is a senior position within our Engineering department. Candidates should be prepared to demonstrate ways they have mentored other engineers and architected solutions to complex problems. We are looking for an experienced engineer who can share this knowledge effectively with others.
The Lead Software Engineer will report to the Director of Software Engineering.
- Proactively seek out and complete features in a reasonably scheduled time;
- Pair with other developers to troubleshoot, refactor, and help/learn;
- Provide constructive code reviews of pull requests;
- Write effective tests proving accuracy of code;
- Communicate to fellow team members the reasons why choosing approaches to solutions.
- 5+ years developing browser-based software applications;
- Familiarity with data engineering and backend data processing;
- Proficiency in another programming languages a plus, like Python, Elixir, or Go;
- Excellent problem solving and communication skills, a detail-oriented personality, a collaborative spirit, and a love for technology that will ultimately impact the lives of others;
- Experience in other aspects of web development like graphics, video, writing, server admin, database optimization, and or deployment automation is a plus.
- Comfortable working with Google Cloud Platform (GCP) and understand different services that GCP offers.
- College degree – especially in a CS-related field is a plus.
To apply for this position, click here.