Benefits Data Trust (BDT) is seeking a Contracts Manager/Staff Attorney that will have a direct impact on a variety of organizational operations, ranging from: representing BDT in contract negotiations; working with the leadership team on crafting strong contracts; ensuring compliance throughout contract engagement; overseeing the allocation of internal resources according to contract terms; and more. The Contracts Manager/Staff Attorney will be responsible for preparing, examining, and revising business contracts. The Contracts Manager/Staff Attorney will also be responsible for negotiating the terms and conditions, as well as documenting and agreeing, on any changes or amendments that arise during implementation and execution. Through systematic and efficient management of contract creation, execution, and analysis, the Contracts Manager/Staff Attorney will maximize financial and operational performance while minimizing risk. The Contracts Manager will report to the Director of Finance.
- Draft, evaluate, negotiate, and execute various types of contracts (formal, short form, and annual contracts): Business Associates Agreements, Non-Disclosure Agreements, Sales / Purchasing Agreements, Sub-contracts, Consulting Agreements, Licensing Agreements, Master Agreements terms and conditions; Commercial and Public Contracting (Federal, State, Local Municipalities, Private Companies, and Foundations); Amendments to any of the previous
- Serve as the point of contact for customers and internal employees (or outside counsel) on contractual matters, ensuring timely review and approval / reconciliation of variations
- Maintain contractual records and documentation of all contract correspondence, contractual changes, status reports, and other legal documents for all projects in current contracts repository (and eventually manage transition of contracts workflow and repository into Salesforce platform)
- Develop and implement procedures for contract management and administration in compliance with company policy (and draft relevant organizational policies)
- Monitor transaction compliance (milestones, deliverables, reporting, invoicing, insurances, etc.)
- Regularly review compliance procedures and monitor compliance by company employees with established procedures; review SOPs for legal compliance
- Provide guidance on contract and transaction matters to project managers or other operational, administrative, or technical staff; perform relevant legal research
- Conduct training for new project managers and other employees in contracting procedures
- Evaluate contract terms to ensure adherence to broader finance and risk requirements; identify and present organizational risks presented by contracts
- Communicate to all relevant parties when all contracts are signed, ensure shared awareness and interpretation, and support implementation
- Coordinate contract close-out, extension, or renewal. Prepare legal memos in order to increase interoperability and stakeholder approval
- Provide back-up support for SOC2, information security, data sharing, privacy, HIPAA, etc., and other internal audit processes. Serve as a back-up on compliance with federal and state data privacy reporting requirements
- Build partnerships with relevant professionals who can serve as resources for legal and transactional concerns
- Maintain state and charitable registrations as needed
- Other duties as assigned
- Juris Doctor required; legal license preferred
- 3+ years of relevant experience in contracts management and transaction compliance; prior experience in a law firm strongly preferred (and not-for-profit experience a plus)
- Prior project management experience preferred
- Superb attention to detail and critical thinking/problem-solving skills
- Outstanding communication skills, both written and verbal
- Ability to work as a positive team member in a productive environment with limited supervision
Benefits Data Trust (BDT) is a national not-for-profit organization committed to transforming how individuals in need access essential benefits and services. BDT envisions an efficient, cost-effective health and human services system that proactively connects individuals and families to the supports they need so that people are healthier and more economically secure, and communities are stronger. Through direct service delivery and systems change, BDT works to improve health, social, and economic outcomes and streamline the benefits enrollment process.
BDT employs 160 employees in Philadelphia, and provides enrollment assistance in Colorado, Maryland, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, and South Carolina. Since its inception in 2005, BDT has submitted over 750,000 benefits applications for low-income households across the country, securing over $7 billion in benefits for food, healthcare, housing and other services that help move individuals and families toward financial stability. BDT now submits more benefit applications each year than any other entity in the nation. Research and evaluations have found BDT’s targeted outreach and enrollment assistance to be highly cost-effective. BDT also works with government agencies to assist them in adopting policies and practices proven to streamline benefits enrollment, and BDT partners with leading researchers to document the impact of benefits access and cost-effective outreach and enrollment strategies.
To apply for this position, click here.